How do you feel at work? Are you tired and exhausted regularly? Do you feel like you are in a dry routine without any enjoyment or minimal pleasure? Do you often describe your energy level as drained? Perhaps it is time to look into some self-care.
- Exhaustion. This is something that I have battled with. I even went as far as going to the doctor to check my iron because I knew something was wrong. Turns out, I needed to simply SLEEP. Imagine that? Try going to sleep earlier. I know I need about 7.5-8 hours of sleep to function the best. Figure out your sweet spot and adjust.
- Put your favorite affirmation on your screensaver. If not that, put something on your desk that reminds you of joy and happiness. Perhaps a picture of a loved one (or animal), a picture of a dream destination. Anything that reminds you there is more to life than work.
- Remember that your purpose in life is “LOVE” . Your occupation is your choice. You are not your job. It is what you do. What happens at your job is an experience in your life. It is not your life.
- Lunchtime. Make sure you eat healthy, balanced food and take a break to eat. Even if you stay at work, get away from your work desk, stop and eat calmly. Eating well will nourish the brain and body.
- Take a break away from the office. I would eat in the office break room, but would take a walk after for 10-20 minutes. If you can, get outside. Perhaps a 10 minute break/meditation of sitting still outside? It really helps to change the scenery. Yes, even standing outside of the office on a busy street can clear your mind.
- Rushing. Don’t do it! Get up 10 minutes early and arrive a bit early. Added bonus is that it gives you a few minutes to socialize before ‘the doors open’. Rushing causes stress. When you feel calm you can adjust to work easily leading to a more productive day.
- Leaving on time! I know this can be the greatest challenge. There will always be more to do. Always. Remember that it has been proven time and time again that leaving on time leads to better rest, less stress and in the end better work productivity the next day. If you want to be more focused, you must leave work and take a mental and physical break. I will repeat, it is not your life.
- Fun! Yes, you can and must have fun outside of work. Again, your work is what you do by choice and it is not the master of your life. You are in control. Joyful living is one of the greatest emotions which leads to one of the most powerful life boosters: Appreciation.